We are dedicated to enhancing the safety and well-being of the ISU and Ames community by providing free self-defense classes to various organizations and groups. We’ve taught both college students and community members within dormitory, fraternities and sororities, and off-campus organizations.
What we do:
- teach verbal and non-verbal self-defense techniques that are applicable in circumstances of physical assault generally and sexual assault specifically
- dispel myths surrounding sexual assault and teach about consent
- teach practical self-defense in ways that are hands-on and engaging
- teach small or large groups
- physical participation is encouraged, *but not required
- Educate about self-defense situations
- Provide practical self-defense strategies
- Encourage a sense of self-confidence
- Emphasize that all participants’ safety is worth defending
The content of the seminars is catered to beginners of any age, gender, or ability. Participants may want to wear loose or comfortable clothing. Seminars are best taught in a place where we have room to move. Please let us know the how many will be in attendance and the room size so that we can plan accordingly. We will work with you to provide a seminar at no cost to suit your group’s needs.
To inquire about arranging a seminar, please contact Ryan Werener at firstname.lastname@example.org